(a gentle reminder of what America once stood for, and what it appears to have lost today.)
WE THE PEOPLE of the free and independent United States herby declare our interconnectedness and responsibility for one another. Recognizing that we were originally formed as a political unit to throw off the cruelties of a despotic ruler, we re-commit ourselves to those principles which set us apart from nations whose enrichment of their ruling classes have inflicted undue harm upon their populations from time immemorial.
In light of recent activities and political maneuverings by the moneyed classes of our society, we feel the need to once again state those values we believe are embodied or implied in both our nation’s Constitution and Declaration of Independence, namely that…
- All citizens are entitled to unhindered access to those essentials necessary in a modern society to foster Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, including a healthy diet, safe and affordable housing, an advanced education, an unbiased political system, freedom from fear or repression, and a government committed to the avoidance of war and the pursuit of peace.
- To secure such essentials, it is necessary to immediately develop and institute such rules of behavior and political jurisprudence that acknowledge and reestablish the equality of all individuals in our society; those actions to include…
-Removing the power and influence of money from all democratic institutions and political activities, understanding that, far from engendering free speech, the unfettered flow of money only allows moneyed interests to drown out the voices of those with lesser wealth or influence;
– Restoring a fair and equitable tax system that recognizes all individuals benefit equally from systems, protections and services provided by our governing bodies, and that more should be expected from those who, because of circumstance or personal effort have a preponderance of a nation’s wealth, while less should be taken from those who have little enough for themselves;
– Restoring equal justice and punishment to those at all levels of our society, so that those who caused economic chaos and destruction in pursuit of their own selfish outcomes, as well as those who unleashed the dogs of war for no good cause, and those who abused public office for personal gain, are given a fair and impartial trial before the eyes of the world, as a lesson to others and a clear indicator of our commitment to the rule of law, even for the most powerful among us;
– Gradually reducing the country’s dependence on, and enthrallment to, the military industrial complex. Recognizing that, as recently evidenced, weak-minded or short-sighted leaders can make unfortunate military decisions that often result in unnecessary death, destruction and the wasteful expenditure of national wealth. Also recognizing that the maintenance of a large global military footprint not only increases the likelihood of America being drawn into war, but significantly reduces those assets available for keeping commitments to citizens at all levels of the socio-economic ladder.
We offer the above Declaration of Interdependence as a road map for our country to begin returning to its rightful path, to once again become a beacon on a hill to other nations, a paragon of virtue among world powers, driven equally by principle and compassion, and untroubled by the internal strife that rules public debate when blind self-interest and self-righteous bravado hold sway.
So offered for consideration this December, 2019, a time when Americans sorely need to reconnect with the underlying principles of our Democracy.